In today’s hyper competitive marketing world, where it seems as though nearly everything is online, direct mail is a mediums that is often overlooked. While you might not have considered launching a direct mail campaign, think about the challenge of “inbox attention” and getting your emails read.
Now consider how easily a piece of direct mail can capture your attention. No matter what kind of business you own, here are 7 reasons you should consider joining the ranks of smart business owners everywhere using direct mail in their business today.
1. It’s Laser Targeted – You can target markets by demographics, psychographics, or even past purchases (a personal favorite). There are compiled lists, which consist of contacts who share some similarity like living in the same zip code, belonging to the same political party, or having blue eyes. There are also responders lists, which are made up of people who have responded or opted into something in some way like requesting more info, filling out a warranty card, or calling from a radio or tv commercial. You can even get lists of people who are buyers of some other product or service. People on these lists have already demonstrated a willingness to buy something- do you think that they might be good prospects for you?
2. Super Stealthy – Unlike marketing online, direct mail gives you the ability to test, grow, and build a campaign or business with very little visibility by your competitors. It’s very easy with all the tools available to “spy” on your competition online, but that’s not the case with direct mail. They won’t know how much you’re mailing, how often, or have any idea what your conversions are. If you’re in a very competitive niche, or in a niche that does most of it’s business online, the thought of direct mail should have you salivating by now.
3. Easily Scalable – The size you can grow to is only limited by the number of available responsive lists. With direct mail you can very predictably scale your business by continuing to test additional lists. Having a knowledgeable list broker on your team can help you scale as quickly as possible, and also predict what size you can scale to, even after that first single test.
4. Very Few Moving Parts - With a direct mail campaign your biggest variables are:
- The list (who am I mailing to?)
- The mail piece itself (postcard, letter, what does it say, etc?)
- The response device (am I asking them to visit a webpage, call a toll free number, listen to a recorded message, or something else?).
Obviously there are other factors to consider, but just having these 3 variables make it easy to track, test and tweak.
5. Low-Tech And “Beginner Friendly” – You don’t need to know how to write computer code or put up a website. Nor do you have to hire someone to do this for you. There’s no computer person involved at all. Once the copy and layout is done for the mail piece, turning on your campaign is as easy as calling your list broker to order names and then calling the print/mail shop to place your order.
6. Relatively Inexpensive – Depending on your industry, you can get your per lead costs to as low as $2, and per sale cost for a $1,495 dollar product as low as $150. As opposed to generating leads online, you can target BUYER leads with direct mail. Leads generated via direct mail tend to have a MUCH higher LTV (lifetime value) and fewer unsubscribes and spam complaints than those generated online.
7. Little To No Competition – Today’s marketing competition is trying to be won online. However imagine cultivating leads somewhere else, where your competition isn’t: direct mail. Considering that you can target a list of people who are buyers in your industry, doesn’t that warrant a test of a direct mail campaign at least once in 2013?
The bottom line is that it doesn’t matter if you use direct mail for lead generation, direct selling of your existing products or services, or to test a new product or service. Direct mail can help you build and grow your business predictably and with very little hassle.
If you’re not sure about where to get started, check out the book “Postcard Profits” by Luke Jaten. Luke has sold over $65 Million worth of goods & services from direct mail, and for a limited time, he’s actually giving away his book for free. You can claim your very own copy here.
Share and Enjoy: